Monday 2 January 2012

Ice White Altered Mirror Class

I made this mirror for the 'Ice White' ~{Tando-Creative Challenge}~ and it is a very quick and simple technique so I thought I'd share it. While one part dries, you go on and paint another part.

This is the finished mirror:


You will need:
One mirror from Ikea; I think most people have one or two of these in their possession waiting to be altered!
Gesso or white acrylic paint.
Dabber top or paintbrush(es)
~{Random Circles Mask}~
~{Butterfly}~ from the grab bag.
~{Flowers}~ from the grab bag.
Buttons.
Ribbon or cord.
Any stamp(s) of your choice - I used a text and a dots stamp.
Very pale inkpad - I used Versacolor Sky Blue.
Bead caps.
Wet wipes.
Silicone glue.

Step 1.
Using a dabber top from a paint pot (I never use them the 'proper' way so have plenty to play with) or a paint brush, paint through the circles only part of the mask being careful not to let too much seep through. The best way is to build up the layers of paint. Each time you move the mask it is very important to wipe it to avoid getting paint where you don't want it. Wipe away any splodges and leave the base to dry.



Step 2.
While the paint/gesso is drying on the base, paint up the butterfly and flowers making sure to paint the edges too. It's always a good idea to paint the edges first, then the fronts. I have given them 2 coats.



Step 3.
Put masking tape over the mirror itself and the add some white paint to one quarter of the base. It doesn't have to be perfect at this point. Using a wet wipe, gently spread the paint out to give a wash effect. The thickness you achieve will be down to personal preference and I only used one coat.




Step 4.
Stamp the text and dots onto the butterfly and flowers, then using your finger, carefully add a small amount of ink to their edges.
Then take the cap from the dabber (or any other lid that is the right size) and stamp a circle over the largest of the circles. This is very hard to see on this photo.
Again, using your finger, add some ink to the outer edges of the mirror.



Step 5.
Add the paint to the bead caps, then gently wipe off some off, leaving some in the deeper areas.


Step 6.
Attach the flowers to the mirror base. I use silicone glue as my glue of choice. Then add the buttons with cord and bead caps.



Step 7.
Add the butterfly to the top of the mirror.





If you make one, I hope you have as much fun as I did and don't forget to let us know if you show it on your blog.

Kaz xxx

2 comments: